Friday, September 6, 2013

COS: Completion of Service or Continuation of Service


This last weekend my training group got together for the last time.  It was our COS conference and it was bitter sweet.  When we first came to this country we started off as a group of 23.  Now there were 17 of us left with an 18th who joined us earlier this year.  For some it has been a constant struggle, for others less so but it wasn’t easy for anyone.
I have been looking forward to this conference for some time now.  This was the weekend where I would finally get the actual date I was to leave Lesotho and I couldn’t wait to make my post-PC plans.  Now that I have the date I feel stressed and excited for the first time.  I’m excited to see my family and friends again who I’ve missed so much.  And to be in a first world country again, that’s going to be interesting.  I’m excited for the rest of my life.  But it’s stressful getting rid of everything you’ve complied in two years; clothing, household goods, souvenirs.  And saying good bye to all the friends I’ve made here knowing that I may never see them again.  I’ll miss the way I’ve lived the past two years and simply being in Africa.  The next three months are going to be hard.
A lot of RPCVs say that Peace Corps is the best two years of your life, and while it’s been amazing, I just want it to get better.  I don’t want this adventure to end even once I get home.
So here’s to December 4th, my last day as a PCV.  I can’t wait for what comes after and for the next adventure.  For if Peace Corps taught me anything it’s that "life's calling" and it's up to me to answer the call.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Aparna..waiting for you eagerly..loved reading your journey and experiences ..
    Ragamayi

    ReplyDelete